When Are You Going To China?

The Diary of our wait for Emma, somewhere in China

Friday, December 23, 2011

Chipmunk!

I promise, the title of this post will make sense at the end, but it needs some groundwork...

From the time Emma could start talking, I have pointed out to her that she is Chinese and we are not, when looking in the mirror while brushing teeth or washing hands. We touch each other's hair, nose etc. to explore the differences so that one day she doesn't suddenly realize that we look really different. Sometimes we have a little fun with this when we talk about being Chinese...I tell her that Mommy is Norweigan and Daddy is Mexican...clearly, we are neither. If you ask Emma, she will say that Mommy is Chinese and Daddy is Mexican or she will say that nobody is Chinese, including herself, or everyone is Chinese depending on the day.

Today, Emma was talking about being Chinese at the sitters and it continued at home. Doug called from work and we had him on speakerphone, so I asked Emma what Daddy is, which should have been Mexican or Chinese, but she replied, "Chipmunk". She saw the Chipmunk movie today...I fell to the ground laughing.

The first thing she said to me when I picked her up from the sitter was "Chipmunk!", her way of telling me she had been to the movies. She really likes the Chipmunks...I DVR'ed their Christmas special and we've watched it every night this week, so I'm sure seeing them on the big screen blew her mind today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones