When Are You Going To China?

The Diary of our wait for Emma, somewhere in China

Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Lots to catch up on over the past week

Emma had her eyes checked last week and her prescription stayed the same.  Doug went with me for the appointment and Emma handled the testing so much better sitting on Daddy's lap, with me standing behind the Dr., so Emma could see me while she was being examined.  I also asked the Dr. to please pretend like she was examining me with each step of the process to show Emma it was ok, because Mommy was getting her eyes checked too.  Our previous eye Doc left Children's Hospital and the new Dr. is a female which also helped.

Since the beginning of last week, we have had MAJOR nap and bedtime issues.  It all started when I transitioned Emma from the car straight to nap last Sunday.  Every nap and bedtime, has been a war zone.  The last few days she has stopped doing this with me, but she is still putting Doug through the ringer.  I think Emma got disoriented during the car transition and it flipped a switch on her....she has been showing nervous/anxious behaviors all week, similar to the issues she had when we met in China and first came home.  I think she equates sleep time with major changes and gets scared she is going to wakeup in a different place.  I can't wait until she can talk, so we can talk to her about this more.

Today we went to swim class for the first time.  Emma didn't mind going underwater, splashing, jumping etc., but she wanted nothing to do with floating on her back.  The last 10 minutes of swim class was a bust because of the back floating incident.  She kept clinging to my neck and wouldn't let go to participate in the other skills that were being taught.  Emma also saw the floating noodles towards the end of class, which she played with at Gramma Cheryl's pool this weekend and when she realized she couldn't have one during this class, she was not very happy.  Hopefully we can practice back floating some more and she will get comfortable enough to continue.  The class was a little more hardcore/intense than I expected.  We were told that if they wouldn't go underwater without a bunch of panic/crying etc. that we wouldn't be coming to the next classes...they weren't kidding.  I guess they would just refund our money???  Thankfully, we dunked Emma in the pool last Sunday for the first time and she didn't care, so today wasn't the first time she went underwater.  I'm glad I decided to do this before swim class!  Something in my gut told me I should do this, so she wouldn't freak out in swim class and boy, I'm glad I did!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones